New School Dining Seeks Sustainability Interns
New School Dining seeks students committed to institutional sustainability and food justice to join a team of Sustainability Interns for 2016/17. Interns work alongside Dining Directors, University Administrators, and Chefs to assess the economic, environmental and social sustainability of food purchases for cafeterias on campus. Students interested in applying should be passionate about healthy food and have a basic knowledge of food systems including common ingredients and certifications.New School Dining is also specifically looking for 1 or 2 students with a background in marketing, engagement, and media to articulate the vision of the program to the New School community.In addition to the above positions, we are also seeking students with interests in institutional waste streams, cycles and management to join the team. These interns would audit waste and work alongside Administrators to develop long-term waste reduction plans and actively engage the community in waste stream reductions.Key Responsibilities
- Research and analysis of sustainable best practices in procurement, energy efficiencies, education, waste stream reductions and engagement
- Data collection and analysis of the RFC & TNS Sustainable Food Procurement Metric
- Coordinate sustainable initiatives and visualizing the source of our food
- Engage and educate students about TNS’s commitment to local food procurement
- Present findings in reports and presentations
- Work with the Real Food Challenge interns and collaborate with the Real Food Challenge Project.
- Assist the Sustainability Director with Social Media and student engagement
- Passionate about sustainable living – integral to sustainable living is a commitment to social justice for all people and to proper land stewardship
- Undergraduate or graduate students seeking a degree in a sustainability-related program or taking sustainability related courses
- Passion for the Food Industry
- Strong oral, written communications, analytical, and design skills
- Excellent attention to details with strong organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task with excellent follow-through and task completion
- Strong team player, ability to work with diverse cross-functional teams
- Creative problem solver; able to work independently to produce quality results
- Thrives in fast-paced environment and maintains a sense of humor
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Internships are offered for the academic year.
- Positions are part time (10-20 hrs/week).
- Competitive wages offered.
- Qualified candidates should submit resume to email@example.com and include position title in subject.
This is a great opportunity to be part of shaping the sustainability initiative for The New School!