NY-Sun, Community Solar NY New York City Office
This is a part-time paid internship for graduate students in spring semester of 2016, transitioning to a full-time paid internship in Summer 2016.Community Solar NY is an effort under the NY-Sun Initiative to make solar more accessible through community-driven initiatives. In 2016, the Community Solar NY team will be engaged in accelerating the adoption of solar through Community Distributed Generation (Community DG), and tracking the responses of this emerging market to incentives and other assistance from NY-Sun, particularly efforts designed to support the inclusion of low-income communities.The NY-Sun intern will work closely with the Community Solar NY team of three full-time staff in New York City, and will engage regularly with the larger NY-Sun team and staff from other NYSERDA programs. The intern will also interact with professionals and others from the broader networks of the energy, housing and community development fields.
The primary project of this internship will include
- Developing and conducting a campaign of 'Voice of the Customer' interviews with solar and Community DG market actors, including: solar installers and developers, online solar marketplace providers, affordable housing providers, local governments, low-income service providers, and community-based enterprises.
- Organizing and providing analysis of interview results along with other market research and NY-Sun program data, using qualitative and quantitative reporting methods and tools.
- Providing general support for NYSERDA engagement with market actors through regional Community DG workshops and events.
Successful internship candidates will have a high capacity for communicating with individuals from various backgrounds and fields of expertise to gain insight on their market interests, successes and challenges. In addition, the intern will be able to apply a creative, market-oriented perspective to research and data analysis.
Required minimum qualifications include
- Currently enrolled graduate student pursuing a degree in energy, environmental management, sustainability, community development, or a related field.
- Some working knowledge of distributed energy resources is preferred.
- Background or experience in marketing, public relations or related field is preferred.
- Solid skills with the Microsoft Office suite of programs, GIS experience is a plus.
- Candidates must be able to commit to the internship for both spring semester and summer of 2016.
Please complete the intern application on NYSERDA’s Careers page, with a cover letter and resume uploaded as one document. When applying, please indicate that you are interested in the ‘NY-Sun internship’ in the notes section of the application.