Public Programs Associate with Urban Green Council
Help educate the building industry citywide at NYCʼs most impactful environmental nonprofit. Urban Green Council, the local affiliate of the U.S. Green Building Council, is looking for a highly motivated and detail-oriented Associate to assist in the creation and execution of panels and educational events for building professionals in New York City.Urban Greenʼs Public Programs Department helps influence industry practices and support green building policy by educating architects, engineers, energy consultants, building owners and operators, and other professionals on essential elements of deep carbon reduction and other key green building issues. Urban Green hosts or co-hosts 35–50 public programs a year, including panels, educational presentations and an annual conference.Urban Green is a trusted and reliable source for new, often innovative findings about green building practices, and is known for presenting high-quality events featuring important case studies and thought leaders.
About the Position
The Public Programs Associate is a crucial planner and implementer for Urban Green Councilʼs flagship educational programs. These include monthly panel presentations, a high-profile annual conference, educational workshops, and specialized training.Reporting directly to the Public Programs Manager, the Associateʼs primary responsibility is to coordinate logistics and maintain the highest standards of quality for various educational programs and events. The Associate also serves as the liaison to Urban Greenʼs Monthly Programs Committee.
- Serve as liaison to the Monthly Programs Committee, a volunteer group of industry professionals who drive event topics and speakers. Coordinate meetings and work of committee, and review and edit event presentations
- Coordinate event logistics, including venue selection, AV, staffing, volunteers, catering and security
- Provide on-site assistance at public programs: welcome speakers and guests, coordinate and/or manage check-in, computer and AV requirements and refreshments, and make public announcements and introduce speakers
- Promote events in coordination with the Communications team, including event descriptions for online use and registration
- Manage annual event calendar
- Serve as customer service representative for events and related inquiries
- Procure continuing education credits for all programs and provide credits to attendees
- Collate and analyze post-event evaluations and statistics, including attendee surveys, to guide future programming
- Collaborate with supervisor on improvements or innovations to Public Programs such as online courses or media production
- Lead development of short courses on specific topics
- Screen, interview, select and supervise interns
- Provide general administrative support to Public Programs department
- Provide occasional administrative support to other Urban Green departments
- Bachelorʼs degree (engineering, architecture, or sustainability-related field, or event management or administration-related field, a plus)
- 1–3 years of experience in a building-related field (green building a plus) administration, or event planning
- Experience in MS Office and database management in a Mac environment; experience with Salesforce and/or Adobe Creative Suite preferred; experience with video/audio production and editing a plus
- Solid understanding of website content management and social media
- Excellent writing, editing, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to learn quickly and work independently
- Detail oriented and able to multitask
- Proactive with a strong work ethic
- Ability to attend all Urban Green events, mornings and evenings (approximately three per month)
- Commitment to Urban Green's mission, including a strong interest in sustainability and green building
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid health insurance, 401(k) plan with match after 90 days, and a generous vacation policy.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter including salary requirements (single PDF titled PPA_[NAME]) with “PPA/Your Name-Website" in the subject line firstname.lastname@example.org.Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.About Urban Green CouncilUrban Green Council is the New York affiliate of the U.S. Green Building Council(USGBC). Our mission is to advance the sustainability of urban buildings througheducation, advocacy and research.A nonprofit organization established in 2002, Urban Greenʼs in-house experts and adedicated network of volunteers are helping to transform the built environment in NewYork City with models that can be replicated in urban centers nationwide. For moreinformation, please visit www.urbangreencouncil.org.