Submit Logo Ideas for a Car Free Earth Day
Background on Car Free Earth Day
The mission of Car Free Day NYC is to encourage New York City drivers to choose alternative means of moving about NYC on Earth Day, April 22nd, 2016.Car Free Day NYC is an idea that we hope will spark a movement. It addresses critical issues facing our city, our country and our world that stem in part from having too many cars on our city’s streets. From sustainability and environmental justice to land use and urban planning as well as public health and street safety, our overuse of cars has caused numerous urban problems that have social and economic costs.From sustainability and environmental justice to land use and urban planning as well as public health and street safety, our overuse of cars has caused numerous urban problems that have social and economic costs.Car Free Day NYC is about showing people that we can make more thoughtful decisions in our daily lives, particularly related to travel. We are proposing to have Earth Day be a day where we drastically limit the number of cars on New York City streets, by encouraging residents and commuters to choose one of the many other forms of transportation that New York offers for one day of the year.
- Promote investments & prioritize alternative forms of transportation (public transit, cycling, walking, etc)
- Highlight the inefficiency of single passenger car usage
- Highlight the benefits of a city with fewer cars:
- Environmental Benefits: measurably reduce emissions in NYC
- Cost Benefits: Dangerous emissions lead to greater health issues, long-term costs of global warming
- Safety Benefits: fewer cars mean safer streets for other street users
- Stress Levels: Cars cause congestion and noise – studies show that noise reduction lowers stress levels
- Alternate use of streets: Highlight and promote the creativity born out of minimizing the street space used by cars (plazas, cafes, restaurants, etc.) as well as the amazing existing transportation system in NYC.
Send your logo ideas for this event to email@example.com by February 24 by 3:30 pm.