EVENT: TransitCenter at Parsons
Photo courtesy of Kasia BroussalianWhen: Monday, October 19 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.Where: Wollman Hall, Eugene Lang College, 65 West 11th Street, Room B500, New York, NY 10003Ever wonder how those new bike lanes were installed when just several years ago the streets of New York City were considered too wild to be tamed? Rapid change on our streets is occurring in cities across the country, and the people leading the change may not be who you expected.Earlier this year, TransitCenter, a NYC-based foundation committed to improving urban mobility, published an important report, “A People’s History of Recent Urban Transportation Innovation”, which explores the significant role of civic advocates, city leaders, and agency champions innovating public transportation infrastructure and policies.Join Parsons School of Design and TransitCenter on Monday, October 19 from 6:00 - 8:00PM to celebrate the vibrant civic vanguard and visionary leadership of New York City’s street transformation. At this event you will hear from a variety of change agents and organizations who all played different roles as they share their personal experiences in the struggle to reform our streets. With "lightning talks" given by leading policy makers and designers, including Parsons faculty members and graduate students, this symposium will be interactive and engaging. Participants will explore ways government, civic society, and private entities can collaborate to work toward common purposes and public benefit. Speakers include:
- Caroline Samponaro, Deputy Director of Transportation Alternatives, will talk about the role of advocates in NYC's street transformation.
- Shirley Secunda of Community Board 2 and Village Alliance will speak about her role as a community board member in changing NYC's streets.
- Nick Brinen, Parsons Assistant Professor of Interior Design and faculty lead on Street Seats, a collaborative project with NYDOT
- Jon Orcutt, former Director of Policy at the NYCDOT
- Shin-Pei Tsay, Director of Research and Development, TransitCenter
- David Bragdon, Executive Director, TransitCenter
- Fadi Shayya, MA Theories of Urban Practice candidate (2016), Parsons School of Design, editor of At the Edge of the City and recipient of the Basil Fuleihan Innovative Good Governance Award
- Jane Pirone, Interim Dean of the School of Design Strategies, and Associate Professor of Communications Design.
Light refreshments will be provided.This event is free and open to the public, but please register at the link in the upper right hand corner.